problem with screen update optimization in curses

Gilbert Babin babin at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Thu Jan 24 07:25:36 AEST 1991

I am currently writing a package using curses to implement simple
windowing objects, i.e. menu, submenu, dialogboxes, etc...

I developed part of it on VMS, but I'm trying to get the same result
on UNIX (SUN).  Unfortunately, when refreshing the screen in Unix,
it optimizes the flow of characters sent to the screen, which
does not occur under VMS, which will always completely refresh.

I tried using touchwin() before refreshing evry window, but for
each window update the 3 or 4 layered windows flicker.  This
becomes annoying when it occurs every time you type a character...

Is there any way to go around this optimization without having
the screen flickering, and without having to redraw each
window every time it has to be refreshed?