determining port id

George Peavy george at wciu.wciu.edu
Wed Mar 20 03:17:08 AEST 1991

I'm still learning shell programming, and have hit a snag that, so far, I
haven't been able to figure out.

Here's what's happening:  I'm writing a menu program that, among other things,
allows a user to select the option of up/downloading files to/from a PC.
Since I also have terminals attached, I want to disallow this option unless
the user is working from a port known to have a pc attached to it.

What I have so far:  I'm using Bourne shell on AT&T Sys V 3.0 running on a
Unisys 6000/51 platform.  I can get the port id with,

	who am i | awk '{ print $2 }'

The question is, how do I get this information into a place where I can
test the value?  Is there a simpler way than my use of awk?

posted(and I hope I've gotten the right group for followup) and email
replies both welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
--
George Peavy