SVVS requires a panic? Was: Re: CRASH your TANDEM :

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Mar 17 05:57:58 AEST 1991

>I talked to a couple of Tandem engineers after USENIX this January.  They
>bragged that their systems failed the SVVS (requiring waivers)
>because some tests to invoke PANIC messages didn't work; Tandem
>UNIX doesn't crash under some of the conditions expected by AT&T.

That's an interesting claim, but I'm rather skeptical of it.  AT&T has
done some bogus things in the SVVS (e.g., requiring that "read()", as I
remember, actually bump the system time returned by "times()"; this
shafted Apollo, because the Domain/OS implementation of "read()" was all
in user mode, so it bumped the user time but not the system time), but
requiring that the system *panic* wasn't one of them, at least not in
the version of the SVVS I've seen.