Users on a remote machine

Vijay Ender Gill gill at boris.mscs.mu.edu
Sat Mar 2 12:50:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.232038.6962 at rlgvax.Reston.ICL.COM> scc at rlgvax.OPCR.ICL.COM (Stephen Carlson) writes:
>Does anybody know a straightforward and fairly protable way to determine
>from a C program whether a certain user exists on a certain remote machine?

[--deleted--]

>Stephen Carlson         | ICL OFFICEPOWER Center    | In theory, theory and
>scc at rlgvax.opcr.icl.com | 11490 Commerce Park Drive | practice are the same.

The Unix finger command should work.  For specific code, see source
code at uunet.uu.net, in bsd-sources.  This should provide you with
the guts of the program, though you will have to work on it to fit
in with the rest of your program (I assume) you are writing.  It
would be too bad if you are rewriting finger :-).

cheers
-dicky gill (Violator)
-gill at boris.mscs.mu.edu