-x implementations

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Mon Mar 18 09:38:04 AEST 1991

In article <TH0A5Y8 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Maybe, maybe not, but at least I'm paying attention. John, "auth" is a
>*group*. Not a user. Anyone in group "auth" is effectively root. Sean
>has admitted as much.

(Incidently, I just realized how much this has strayed away from the
original topic.  I think I will keep using trn 8-).)

Yes, Sean admitted as much.  However, Sean probably should point out that,
initially, only two users are in group auth:  root and auth.  Sean
deliberately put himself in group auth when creating his account, because
he doesn't like su'ing all the time.  As shipped, the system is no less
secure, in that respect, than any other system.  (Incidently, auth is a
pseudouser; one is supposed to su to that account to do work.  But I figure,
why bother? 8-))

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."