ftp location for libcompat?

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Sat Mar 2 13:15:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb17.210542.25238 at hoss.unl.edu>
mosemann at sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:
>   I downloaded the Reno 4.3bsd code for talkd and talk so that I can
>talk with the rest of the world and not just Sun's with broken talk.
>After a little tweaking, everything compiles just fine, but I can't link
>talk because I don't have libcompat.a.  I'm using SUNOS 4.1.1.  Is there
>some place where I can pick up the library?  (The symbols _herror and
>_strerror are not defined after linking.)  Thanks.

herror() and strerror() are not in libcompat; libcompat is for 4.3BSD
(and older) compatibility (it contains things like a non-obnoxious
`gets' function, and gtty() and stty() `system calls').

strerror() produces a printable string given a system call error
number from <errno.h>.  herror() is like perror() except that it
it reads h_errno rather than errno, and deals with name server
failures.

strerror() and herror() should be available in the same place from
which you got talk and talkd.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab EE div (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov