Alternate character modes on magic_cookie_glitch terminals (long)

theo at rascal theo at rascal
Sun Mar 10 17:00:26 AEST 1991

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 91 13:05:16 GMT

In article <10513 at scolex.sco.COM> staceyc at sco.COM (Stacey Campbell) writes:

>                   .....  Trying to fake out the ACS_ characters to maintain
>code portability with non-System V curses can be done, but because
>non-System V curses doesn't have a generally recognized way of storing
>ACS information, you will have to develop a system that works for every
>single terminal you plan on supporting.  I usually find myself writing
>the following code;
>
>#ifdef ACS_HLINE
>	box(win, 0, 0);
>#else
>	UseCruftyBoxHack(win);
>#endif

We have, in fact, done so. But thanks for the advice all the same, we will
probably implement something like your suggestion in a following release :-)

>I am somewhat confused by the 0 in xmc#0, the manual says the numeric
>value to xmc is the "number of blank characters left by smso or
>rmso".  If this value is zero then it would seem that there is no
>magic cookie required, therefore xmc should be removed.  Perhaps
>the 0 is special.  Either way, if xmc#0 is removed from the qvt101+so
>terminfo file the program will emit rmacs.

Again, thanks very much for the advice, I have removed the xmc entry from
my terminfo source and all works great, except and wait for it, every time
I emit wattroff I get a '%' on the screen! Yes it does appear that the double
percentage in the rmacs and sgr0 sequences are _not_ required!

Sorry, it takes so long for me to respond. Lots of development pressures :-)

Another problem that we have for curses is that we can not place an alternate
character (not using ACS_ ) at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, This
is for all terminals we use ie. SCO ansi, freedom 100, vt100, vt220, qvt101.