Troubles opening the same file on 2 nodes

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Mon Mar 25 21:38:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar24.191011.14552 at IRO.UMontreal.CA>, u715 at JSP.UMontreal.CA (Beliveau Steeve) writes:
|> Hi!
|> 	Here's a little program that will well explain my problem :

  No, actually, it doesn't explain it very well at all, at least not as far as
I can tell.

|> #include <sys/file.h>
|>
|> main()
|> {
|> 	int fd;
|>
|> 	if (open("test", O_RDWR, 0777) == -1)
|> 		perror("THE error:");
|> 	for(;;);
|> }

  What is the "test" file you're trying to open?  Is it a text file, or is it
the binary you have compiled from the source code above?  Or something else?

  Is the file on the local hard disk, or is it on a network file system disk?
If so, what kind of network file system?  NFS?  AFS?  Something else?

|> 	And the error is: Text file busy.
|>
|> If I execute this program on the same node, on two different shell there is no errors.
|>
|> So what is the difference between excuting on the same or on two nodes?

  If you're talking about a network file system, then is the file local on
either of the machines you're running it on, or is it on a third-party
fileserver?

  And I'm assuming that when you say "node," you mean machine on the network.
Is that correct?

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace