C2, SecureWare, loose lips

Miles ONeal meo at Dixie.Com
Fri Mar 15 15:20:21 AEST 1991

John F Haugh II writes:

>Well, I think it is very important to expose fraud whereever it
>is found.  Part of the concept behind the TCSEC and the NCSC is
>that we trust the NCSC to properly apply the criteria described
>in the TCSEC so that the criteria have some meaning.  What
>companies such as SecureWare are doing is to take a meaningful
>collection of criteria and announce, without proof, that they
>adhere to these well defined criteria.  Naive users do not
>fully understand what the difference between a "rated" and an
>"unrated" system are - there are very real differences and
>SecureWare is clouding them up.  Notice how quiet SecureWare is?
>They =are= on the net, and yet they do not get engaged in this
>discussion because their behavior is =unethical=.

Mr Haugh:

Your postings are getting into the are of slander and libel.
They are also, at least in part, simply incorrect.

1) SecureWare's being quiet about this

SecureWare is *not* "on the net", per se. SecureWare has email
via emory and uunet, and has sometimes ftp access. SecureWare
does NOT have a news feed, and was generally unaware of this
discussion until I stumbled across it (in alt.sources.d, where
ELSE would I expect it?) and started forwarding it to SecureWare.

I have net access by virtue of a paid-for account on a public
access system here in Atlanta. I pay for it it myself. One or two
other SecureWare employees have net access as students at Georgia
Tech. As far as I am aware, that's it. But the company itself
certainly has no news access.

2) SecureWare's behavior & ethics

In this article at least, you make claims you do not substantiate.
Just what is this unethical behavior? One of the things that
attracted me to SecureWare was that they seemed far more ethical
in many areas than most of the software/systems houses with
which I am familiar. I have been there almost a year, and have
yet to see evidence to the contrary. Nor am I posting this out
of duty or hoping to win brownie points - they don't go in for
that sort of bull and neither do I.

Ordinarily I would have responded via email, but felt you had
gone too far publicly to respond privately.

I do not claim to speak for SecureWare on these issues.

-Miles O'Neal

(S&SSI is my consulting company on the side. It has nothing
whatsoever to do with SecureWare, its products, or its markets.)