What does index() and rindex() do ??

Rob Tulloh robtu at itx.isc.com
Fri Mar 29 11:18:31 AEST 1991

niklas at appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) writes:

>tore at bibsyst.UUCP (Tore Morkemo) writes:

>Well, I would have mailed this if it hadn't triggered a question that's
>been floating in the back of my head for the last five years.

>Is there something like a porting guide for C-programs under Unix?
>This guide would present the differences between all the main variants
>of Unix.  Specifically differences in library functions and ioctl commands
>are interesting.  I know the knowledge is out there, has anyone written
>it down?

In answer to this query, may I suggest 'Using C on the Unix System'. It
is one of the NutShell books and I have found it to be of great use when
trying to figure out what's what between System V and BSD. I will point
out that it mostly addresses the system level calls though, so if you
are looking for strchr == index, it's not going to help. However, signals,
i/o, and other such stuff is very well represented from both points of
view.

>					Niklas

>--
>Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
>Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
>Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas at appli.se
>S-412 63  GOTEBORG, Sweden     mcsun!sunic!chalmers!appli!niklas

Rob Tulloh
--
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.         Tel: (512) 343 0376 Ext. 116
9442 Capital of Texas Hwy. North  Fax: (512) 343 0376 Ext. 161 (not a typo!)