EINTR on recvfrom() - how to block the signal?

jay dubb jdubb at bucsf.bu.edu
Mon Mar 18 13:17:12 AEST 1991

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin at jade.tufts.edu.

   I have recvfrom() call in my code that attempts to read a UDP
socket message, and is returning -1 and setting errno to EINTR -
interrupted system call (as far as I can tell, this is the signal
caused by one of the child processes dying). What exactly does an
interrupted recvfrom() do?  Can I temporarily disable signal delivery
around the call (but making sure the signal is delivered after the
call completes)? If so, is this a good idea, provided I want to catch
the message, and the signal also? If not, what should I do? Thanks in
advance.
				Mike Levin (mlevin at jade.tufts.edu)