desktop super computers

Dave Martindale dave at onfcanim.UUCP
Wed Nov 12 05:16:56 AEST 1986

>How about a sun 3/260? Its rated at 4 MIPS (68020 running 25 MHz)

4 MIPS running what kind of instructions?

If you take a VAX 11/780 as being a "1 MIPS" machine, I haven't seen
any benchmark that rates anyone's 16MHz 68020 as 2.5 times a VAX 780.
Running the "Dhrystone" non-floating-point benchmark, a Sun 3/160 is
just about 2.2 times an 11/780.  This would indicate that a 25MHz
68020 should be at most 3.3 MIPS doing integer stuff.

My experience with the Weitek 1164/1165 floating point chips, which I
believe is what is used by Sun's fast floating point board, suggest
that they are slightly slower than the 11/780's FPA in both single and
double precision.  And the 780 is less than 1 MIPS when it comes to
floating point.  Also, the Weitek chips force some things to be done
in software that the VAX FPA does in hardware: integer/float conversions,
short/long floating conversions.  The Weitek's greater error (results
are not always exact even when the true result is representable exactly;
e.g. 500.0/10.0 != 5.0) also means extra work for software.  So I'd
be surprised to find any such machine beating a 780 in real applications,
unless it was using single precision on the 68020 and double precision
on the VAX.

Can anyone post *real*, meaningful numbers for the 3/260?

	yours for meaningful MIPS,
	Dave Martindale