desktop super computers

Dave Martindale dave at onfcanim.UUCP
Fri Nov 14 17:30:16 AEST 1986

In article <765 at mips.UUCP> hansen at mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) writes:

>> My experience with the Weitek 1164/1165 floating point chips, which I
>> believe is what is used by Sun's fast floating point board, suggest
>> that they are slightly slower than the 11/780's FPA in both single and
>> double precision.  [ more stuff deleted ]
>
>	This information is totally wrong.  The writer of the above
>	may be confused with the earlier (and inferior) Sky FPA board.
>	First of all, the Weitek 1164/1165 perform add, subtract, and multiply
>	faster than the 11/780's FPA when run at 16 MHz; the operations
>	are faster than 1 usec by a healthy margin. The chip
>	set directly performs integer/float conversions and short/long
>	(or single/double) conversions. The operations are implemented
>	in accordance with the IEEE standard, including support for
>	IEEE directed rounding modes; so 500.0/10.0 == 5.0 exactly.

I'm not confused by a Sky board.  I have had some experience with the
named Weitek chips as used in a Silicon Graphics IRIS 2400T (16MHz 68020),
not a Sun.  So I'm talking about the same hardware, but not the same
support software.

I did some very simple benchmarking when the new IRIS boards arrived,
and found that running real code, the IRIS was just slightly slower
than the 780.  I did get the impression that SGI was using software
for some functions (float/int conversion, for example) which could
have had much to do with slowing down performance.  The IRIS FPA was
out over a year ago, before Sun I believe, so the software may have
been put together in somewhat of a hurry, and may have improved since
then - I haven't had time to check.

The 500/10 problem was real enough - it caused printf to print out 500
as "4:0".  SGI fixed it by using software instead of hardware for that
division, so I just assumed that the hardware wasn't capable of doing
it right.

Anyway, I was just reporting what I'd experienced; it seems that it may
not be true anymore, or may not apply to the Sun.

Still, my original question stands:  How is "4 Mips" measured?  And what
is floating point performance really like?

	Dave Martindale