Mysterious error message: scenario please

Mike McNally m5d at bobkat.UUCP
Sat Nov 22 09:42:09 AEST 1986

In article <1369 at umd5> don at umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:
>[]
>I'd like to know just what could possibly be causing the following error
>message in response to a call to system() with a string that if typed
>by hand to a shell works just fine -- "00: is not an identifier".
>I'm totally mystified, and invite wild speculation on the part of you
>net.people (or comp.people if you've been renamed already) on what the cause
>might be...
>
>--
>--==---==---==--
>.. And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? ..
>
>ARPA: don at umd5.UMD.EDU     BITNET: don%umd5 at umd2
>UUCP: ..!seismo!umd5.umd.edu!don

Could be that the shell you type the command into is not the same shell
used by system().  If I recall, system() uses /bin/sh.  Perhaps if you
provided more details concerning the shell command someone could be
more helpful to you.  Sort of like telling your doctor, "when I execute
a certain body function, I see a large rabbit and hear Frank Sinatra
singing; what could be wrong?"

--
**** At Digital Lynx, we're almost in Garland, but not quite ****

Mike McNally                                    Digital Lynx Inc.
Software (not hardware) Person                  Dallas  TX  75243
uucp: ...convex!ctvax!bobkat!m5                 (214) 238-7474