Unix Question

Dave Decot decot at hpisoa1.HP.COM
Fri Nov 14 09:06:26 AEST 1986

>>> I'll make this short and sweet:
>>>
>>>      How can one change the date/time stamp of a file?
>>>
>>>      I want to be able to put any date/time on a file that I
>>>      have in my directory...
>>> Chuck Conway
>>
>>See touch(1) in the User Reference Manual (RTFM!).
>
>The original poster does not want to put the *current* time on
>the file...he wants to put *any* time on the file.  There are three...

The original respondant asked you to RTFM, and you apparently did not.

The touch(1) command allows the owner of a file or the superuser
to set the time(s) to *any* time:

    TOUCH(1)                      HP-UX                      TOUCH(1)

    NAME
	touch - update access, modification, and/or change times of file

    SYNOPSIS
	touch [ -amc ] [ mmddhhmm[yy] ] files

    DESCRIPTION
	Touch causes the access, modification, and last change times
	of each argument to be updated.  The file name is created if
	it does not exist.  If no time is  specified  (see  date(1))
	the current time is used.  The -a and -m options cause touch
	to update only the access or modification times respectively
	(default  is  -am).   The  -c option silently prevents touch
	from creating the file if it did not previously exist.

	The return code from touch is the number of files for  which
	the  times  could  not  be  successfully modified (including
	files that did not exist and were not created).

    SEE ALSO
	date(1), utime(2).

Dave Decot
hpda!decot