compac laser disc for UNIX system

Operator <often mikey> root at shuksan.UUCP
Sat Nov 22 06:22:30 AEST 1986

> Does anyone know of a laser disc WORM (write-once-read-many)
> that works on a UNIX sys (especially the IBM-RT or SUN-2)...
>
> All the ones I've seen advertised so far are for VAX/VMS...
>
> Thanks in advance
> Brian Boyter
> boyter at ngp.utexas.edu
> ut-ngp!boyter

We have been using an Optimem WORM 1Gb optical disk for some time.
The drivers are available from SUN ($2k?) and it simply rides on the
SCSI bus.  We use it for storing map data for our workstations (we are
an R & D bunch working on command and control stuff ).  While there
have been some problems, generally, it seems to work fine.  We are
currently running on a sun 2/160 however, we plan to run on our 3/160
as well as our new 3/280 system.

			     Mikey (yes "he likes it!")

My job is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

email:                       real person:              Life:
==>   ssc-vax!shuksan!mikey      (206) 251-4638 [work]    Mike Fields
(alt) ssc-vax!fields             (206) 821-3492 [home]    12022 N.E. 138th Pl.
                                                          Kirkland, Wa.
                                                               98034