Unix/Xenix Software to make an Index

Mark Steven Jeghers mark at cogent.UUCP
Tue Nov 18 15:22:25 AEST 1986

In article <127 at rd1632.UUCP> hann at rd1632.UUCP (Ed Hann) writes:

>	Does anybody know about a tool that runs under XENIX (UNIX) that
>creates indexes for publications?  (Not a permuted index, but the kind
>you find in the back of books that list key words and phrases.)  We would
>prefer a commercial, i.e. supported, product but we'll give anything a
>look.
>
>	Fred Stock
>	...!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!rd1632!seradg!fred

We need such a beast as well.  We want to be able to take a large
nroff source document, imbed index flags in the text, and have those
flags detected during formatting so that an index can be generated as a
side effect.  We also need an index by outline heading levels, but I am
pretty sure that nroff and one of it's macros can do that.

Please also drop a line to ptsfa!cogent!mark if you know of any
pre-processor or whatever that will do this.

Thanx in advance.
|     Mark Steven Jeghers - the living incarnation of "Deep-Thought"         |
|     ("You won't like the answer ... you didn't ask it very well.")         |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
| Cogent Software Solutions can not be held responsible for anything said    |
| by the above person since they have no control over him in the first place |