Printer Problems

Mark Lanzo mark at ece-csc.UUCP
Wed Nov 19 00:32:03 AEST 1986

I've been having problems with printers hooked onto microvaxes, and wondered
if someone out there could provide a solution.

Specifically, I've got a uVax II running Ultrix 1.2.  We have an LN03 printer
hooked to one of our tty ports.  When printing long files (or lots of short
ones), things seem to break sometimes -- the printer loses some text, often
part of the last page of a file.  I suspect that the problem lies in the
system not recognizing ^S/^Q from the printer, but I don't know for certain.
I've tried twiddling the /etc/printcap entry in all sorts of ways, with no
real success.  DEC has not been able to provide an answer (or more precisely,
they provided a *wrong* answer).

I've been hearing the same complaint from the managers of several other uVaxen
in the area.  The system configuration is not always the same -- other printers
(usually LA50), or they have a Vax workstation (I *think* in this case the
printer is connected to the console port, and I don't know how that may differ
from the regular tty ports).

Our current printcap entry basically looks like:

    lp|LN03:\
       fs#0321:fc#0456:\
       xs#040000:xc#037777:\
       br#4800:lp=/dev/tty00:

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Please send replies via e-mail so we don't flood the newsgroups with
50 different versions of a common reply!  Thanks.

        Mark Lanzo
        ...decvax!mcnc!ece-csc!mark       (I think)