tip on ventel modems under 4.2bsd

Douglas H. Price dhp at ihlpa.UUCP
Thu Nov 13 07:35:46 AEST 1986

>  I have some problems with ventel modems . . .
> 	a) Under tip. The computer was sending two cr's to wake up the modem
> 	waiting for a "$" . . .
> 	The problem was this The modem doesn't respond because the sleep
> 	between the two cr'r is longer than the modem will accept as valid.

My company has a Plexus P40 (Z8000 System III) box,
and the way I fixed this problem was to find an empty port,
open it CLOCAL at 300 baud, and write a bunch of characters to it
before sending the second carriage return.  A real hack, but it
does work for those individuals who don't have a timer resolution
better than 1 second.

--
						Douglas H. Price
						Analysts International Corp.