echo (was $@ vs. $*)

ccplumb at watnot.UUCP ccplumb at watnot.UUCP
Fri Jan 9 08:46:05 AEST 1987

In article <287 at haddock.UUCP> karl at haddock.ISC.COM.UUCP (Karl Heuer) writes:
-   One thing they might have overlooked (I don't have a man page or a
- V8 system available; this is from memory) is a way to forcibly terminate
- option scanning.  (With the USG function getopt(), this is automatically
- provided via "--".  This notation is probably as good as any.)  If this
- option is/were included, then one can/could be sure of echoing something
- exactly by using `echo -- "$1"'.  This would also allow for future
- additions, e.g. an option to echo multiple arguments on separate lines,
- without breaking existing scripts (provided they use "--").

  My two cents' worth...  an "echo rest of line raw" flag is definitely
the way to go... although I'd use the null flag ("-") for the purpose.

  Echo implementors, take note!

	-Colin Plumb (ccplumb at watnot.UUCP)

Zippy says:
Four thousand different MAGNATES, MOGULS & NABOBS are romping in my
gothic solarium!!