How do I access my 2nd disk drive?

kimi at ablnc.UUCP kimi at ablnc.UUCP
Fri Jan 9 23:51:26 AEST 1987

o o o o o
o o o o o  (line eater vending machine)

Machine:  3B2/300 with XM running SysV R2.1
          Two 72 Meg hard disk drives
	  Cartridge tape drive (not working)
	  2 Meg memory

Events:   Hard disk #1 was replaced yesterday.  Since cartridge tape was
	  causing system failures when we tried to save 60K blocks of
	  files, I was advised to move the files to hard disk #2 for
	  safekeeping.  Yes, I know I should have backed it all up on
	  floppy, but I trusted the repair guy who said the second disk
	  was the place to put it.

Problem:  On rebooting unix from disk, we had choices of full or partial
	  restore, second disk or release upgrades.  Full restore destroys
	  all contents of both disks.  The partial restore would not work.
	  The repairman used a terminator to blind the 3B2 to the second
	  disk drive, and we did a full restore.

Question: How do I get to my second drive (and all that data)?

So far, I know we can put an entry in /etc/fstab describing
"/dev/dsk/c1d1s0 /usr2" and I am preparing to attempt putting the nodes in
/dev/dsk, but I'm not too sure how to do it.  One guy says to use 3BNET
to send them over from another 3B2 with the same setup and another says
that won't work.  As you can see, we have plenty of speculation as to what
will happen when we shutdown, take the terminator off, and attempt reboot.

What I would appreciate is information from anyone who has actually tried
to save existing data on a second disk drive.  Speculation is welcome, but
please note it as such.  Because, obviously, I'll believe anything. :-)

Kimiye Tipton  305-660-6472 days  {ihnp4, akgua, ulysses, houxm}!ablnc!kimi
AT&T  Maitland, FL       (Free repair service is free repair service.)
"I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."
___