Compress Mail via sendmail.cf + rmail script

joe at auspyr.UUCP joe at auspyr.UUCP
Sat Jan 24 07:57:12 AEST 1987

I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this idea, but I'm planning
on implementing compressed mail between two BSD sites and would like
to know what kind of problems I can expect.

Here is the basic idea:

	1) Defined a string in sendmail.cf that contains site names that
	allow execution of "uncomprmail".

	2) When someone sends mail to one of the above sites, sendmail will
	locally run "comprmail" and ship the file to site!uncomprmail
	via uux. "comprmail" will compress the mail.

	3) recieving end ("uncomprmail") decompresses the mail and runs
	rmail locally with same args.

Sendmail.cf has the following modifications:

	# define sites that uncompress mail
	CC test1 test2 test3

	#
	# someplace in ruleset 0 ...
	# if site name is a site name in $C macro, then run "compress" mailer
	# with host and user set.
	R$=C!$+			$#compress$@$1$:$2		compressed rmail

	#
	# someplace after ruleset 5 (or does it matter?)
	# define the "compress" mailer ...
	Mcompress, P=/bin/sh, F=sDFMhuU, S=13, R=23, M=100000,
		A=/bin/sh /usr/local/uubin/comprmail $h!uncomprmail ($u)

/usr/local/uubin/comprmail contains the following:

	# compress mail and ship to uux
	# sendmail will send args:  site!uncomprmail user
	exec compress | uux $*

/usr/local/uubin/uncomprmail contains the following:

	# uncompress standard in and send to rmail
	# typically, uuxqt will run this with args: user
	exec compress -d | rmail $*

AT the moment, I don't have two BSD 4.2 systems ready to test this.
Can anyone think of any problems that might occure?

--
"No matter      Joe Angelo, Sr. Sys. Engineer @ Austec, Inc., San Jose, CA.
where you go,   ARPA: aussjo!joe at lll-tis-b.arpa       PHONE: [408] 279-5533