SHL LAYERS

John Cornelius jc at piaget.UUCP
Wed Jan 21 01:44:30 AEST 1987

In article <1324 at cadovax.UUCP> mitchell at cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
 >I need to be able to interactively stop jobs, start new ones, resume
 >jobs, that kind of thing in system 5.  I'm used to Bsd and I'm gonna
 >be using system 5, and I'm wondering if shl layers will suffice for
 >my purposes.
 >
 >Anybody used shl layers?  How is it as a user interface?  Can I do most
 >of the things that I can do under Berkeley's job control with shl layers?

I have and they seem to work fine.  What layers actually does is
to detach your terminal from the current process.  If the process
doesn't require input from the terminal it will continue to run.
I suspect that if a detached process wants to output to the
terminal as the standard error device it will do so without regard
to whether the terminal is attached.  This could cause some rather
interesting screens.

I do not believe that there is actually a SIGSUSP signal in
System V so the process has to run until it wants to do I/O to
the terminal.

--
John Cornelius
(...!sdcsvax!piaget!jc)