ulimit considered braindamaged ?

Guy Harris guy%gorodish at Sun.COM
Mon Jan 5 18:40:59 AEST 1987

> You can change the system-wide default value for ulimit by, assuming of
> course that you have a source code license, changing a constant in the
> unix source and simply recompiling.  I believe the constant is called
> MAXWRITE or something like that.

Nothing so straightforward; it's called CDLIMIT.

One hopes that in S5R3 they've at least come to their senses to the extent
of making it a constant tunable without source (one *could* hope they
realize that the "ulimit" scheme is the wrong solution, implement quotas
instead, and either crank the default ulimit up to 2^31-1 or set it to 0 and
have that mean "no limit").