Suspending processes

ram at nucsrl.UUCP ram at nucsrl.UUCP
Sat Jan 17 18:32:33 AEST 1987

/ nucsrl:comp.unix.questions / lee at A60.UUCP (G. Lee) /  9:13 am  Jan  9, 1987 /

>>  Does UNIX provide a standard way to suspend a processes ( stop it
>>from getting CPU time )?

     I know that two MS(!) theses that were written on this topic at U. of Ill
at Champaign, one each on SYSV and BSD.  The suspend and renew commands
were called "spr" and "rpr" were implemented at the user level.
If you are that desparate, and don't want to bother writing one on your own,
you may obtain those tech reports and type in the source code included with
the report (with the authors permission, of course).

     Having raised that question, it may be wise to note that such
a feature may well become necessary if you have
UNIX in a multiple-processor box. The user can suspend
a process, migrate it elsewhere and start up the process in another
process.  There are other applications related to fault tolerance,
which I would rather not talk about right now.

                                        Renu Raman
                                   ...ihnp4!nucsrl!ram
                                   Northwestern University Comp. Sci. Lab