Remote File Sharing (RFS) - SVR3

Eduardo Krell ekrell at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Tue Jan 6 00:15:25 AEST 1987

In article <10938 at sun.uucp> guy%gorodish at Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:

>  When I had a disk, I exported the file system containing my home
>directory to other machines; I didn't have to worry about re-mounting my
>home directory on those machines if I rebooted my machine.  Another machine
>I manage is used for development, so it is sometimes rebooted frequently; it
>exports an infrequently-used file system to several clients, and it would be
>inconvenient if they were forced to remount that file system ever time we
>needed to bring up a new kernel on the server.  (It's also convenient not to
>have my sessions smashed if a server crashes.)  I would say off the top of
>my head that a stateful server *could* reestablish a connection when the
>server comes back up, but as far as I know RFS doesn't do so.

This is incorrect. With RFS, when your machine goes down, the clients that
had your file systems mounted will remount them as soon as your machine
comes up again. Your machine will also try to remount whatever remote file
systems are specified to be mounted upon start-up of RFS. This all happens
automatically.

--

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

    {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell