How to make sendmail re-read the configuration file

Curtis Generous generous at dgis.UUCP
Thu Jan 22 06:04:16 AEST 1987

In article <136 at quacky.mips.UUCP> dce at quacky.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:

>I would like to modify sendmail to have it re-read the configuration
>file on some given signal (HUP?), but I am worried that sendmail
>can't handle this without modifications elsewhere. Is there anyone
>with a lot of sendmail experience that can help me out?

I don't acknowlegde knowing very much about sendmail, but on our machine
(a VAX 780, running 4.2BSD), sendmail can be forced to read the
configuration file by performing the following steps:

       cp /dev/null /usr/lib/sendmail.fc  # erase old frozen configuration
       /usr/lib/sendmail -bz	          # which reads the new configuration

-curtis-

Curtis C. Generous
Lawrence Livermore National Labs
generous at lll-tis-b.ARPA