the bottom line on Berkeley code rights?

neville at ads.arpa neville at ads.arpa
Tue Jan 20 17:50:11 AEST 1987

Would someone who knows (there must be lawyers reading this list) please
tell me what the status of non-AT&T derived Berkeley Unix code is?  i'm
talking here about things like Berkeley-specific utilities, etc.  Exactly
what are the ramifications of this code having been done under a [D]ARPA
grant?  This is something i have never fully understood.  In grad school,
we had to negotiate with commercial companies that funded projects to make
sure we had distribution rights to the code, but it seemed that goverment-
funded work was always distributable (unless classified).

i guess the short form is: what rights do  a) the UC Regents, b) the US Govt.,
and c) the general public,  have to the BSD Unix code that is not AT&T
derived?

							-neville

U.S. Mail:  Neville D. Newman
	    Advanced Decision Systems