BSD & Sys5 Job Control

csg at pyramid.UUCP csg at pyramid.UUCP
Mon Jan 26 05:19:01 AEST 1987

In article <3702 at teddy.UUCP> jpn at teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>Both shl and "job control" are unnecessary if you have a true windowing
>system.  Both are HACKS to provide capabilities close to window systems
>using dumb terminals.

Not true at all. Whether I use my AT&T DMD or a Sun workstation, I won't give
up BSD job control inside my windows! How much I depend on it became painfully
obvious when using a pure System V workstation (which at the time didn't have
shl either). The ability to stop and reorder jobs without killing them is much
too useful to give up, particularly on systems with restricted resources.

I do have less use for shl in the DMD windows (shl and SXT are just munged
versions of layers and XT, after all), although I occasionally find it very
useful for managing a large number of small tasks that produce little output.

<csg>