died and dying daemons

system at asuvax.UUCP system at asuvax.UUCP
Wed Jan 28 05:31:16 AEST 1987

I just recently brought 4.3bsd up on our VAX 11/780.  We ran for several
weeks with only a few problems.  Then I needed to change our config file and
the following the problem started.  The daemons keep dying. When the system
boots, /etc/rc starts the daemons lpd, syslogd, etc. and they all die.
I tried rebooting from the old 'vmunix', but the problem continued.
If I start the daemons manually, the same thing occurs.  Starting lpd will
at least flush out the queues before dying.  Checking deeper it seems that
the daemons can not create their needed sockets (/dev/printer,
/dev/log,...).  Yet other programs that use sockets run fine. Any and all
help is needed.

Marc Lesure
System Manager
Engineering Computer Center