why learn UNIX

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Jan 17 07:41:40 AEST 1987

> ... After all, would you prefer to buy
> a "Guide to programming in Fortran on XXX" or "Guide to Text Editing" from
> the manufacturer or from some unknown hacker author?

Better still, from some known-to-be-good hacker author.  Given only the
choice you present, probably from some unknown hacker author, since it is
a well-known law of nature :-) that manufacturers are incapable of writing
inexpensive readable documentation.  What I've seen on VMS -- admittedly I
have not looked hard, since neither VMS nor VAXen are cost-effective any
more -- has not been an exception.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry