SVR3 SVID compliance clause

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Jan 20 19:28:11 AEST 1987

The real problem with the SVID compliance clause, as I understand it,
is that it precludes non-SVID-compliant vendors, such as those who
started with a 4.2BSD kernel, from adopting ANY part of SVR3, even in
an attempt to transition to a SVID-compliant system.  This includes
such important items as STREAMS and RFS.  Surely we would all be
better off if such facilities could be picked up while the vendors
worked to move their systems into SVID and/or POSIX compliance.