u-emacs usage

Greg Franks greg at xios.UUCP
Fri Jan 9 00:26:49 AEST 1987

My mailer barfed - so I am posting a followup instead....

In article <102 at gilsys.UUCP> mc68020 at gilsys.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
>1)  I would like to know how to mark a section of text (a 'region' in emacs,
>I believe), and then write that region out to a new disk file,

As far as I know - select region, copy to new buffer, write buffer out.

>2)  I would like to know how to use regular expression in global search and
>replace,

I don't have pattern matching in my verion of uEmacs 3.7 - I think its in
3.8 though.

>3)  I would like to know how to have emacs go directly to a given line number
>in the text file (not upon entry, THAT I know how to do),

Easy, M-<number> M-G, or ^U<number> M-G

>4)  in general, I would like pointers to information which would permit me to
>learn to be a competent emacs user.

There was a manual sent out with the 3.7 sources.  Check the mod.sources
archives.  Also note that 3.8 is coming out ``Real Soon Now''.  Stay tuned
to comp.emacs for further info (that's where I get mine!)

..greg