Help with UUCP

Dennis Bednar dennis at rlgvax.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 09:54:59 AEST 1987

In article <2051 at brl-adm.ARPA>, kvancamp at ARDEC.arpa (Kenneth Van Camp -FSAC-) writes:

>   RETRY TIME (3300) NOT REACHED

Try removing the STST.machine file, in /usr/spool/uucp.  If you
don't, a soon attempt to run uucico will fail.

> but does anyone know what the -r1 does?

The -r1 sets the mode to "master" or "caller",
as opposed to "slave" or "server".  The "role"
variable inside uucico is by default 0 (slave),
and -r1 causes the variable to be set to 1 (master).

> to try again every five minutes (say) until the queue is empty? My
> transfers have been occurring, but they have been taking horribly long
> to occur and often do not seem to be retried until I reboot.

Also try putting an entry in the crontab file to run uucico
periodically.  If uucico exhausts the queue, and you queue up
new information, the new uucico started will not be able to
file transfer because of the short time (the 3300 you mentioned).
Unless you type in another uucp or mail or postnews command,
there is nothing to "poke" uucico to tell it to start file transfering
again.  This is because uucico is *not* a daemon, but rather,
a one-shot program.

-dennis
--
-Dennis Bednar
{decvax,ihnp4,harpo,allegra}!seismo!rlgvax!dennis	UUCP