Ultrix `fort' vs BSD `f77'

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Jan 19 15:55:57 AEST 1987

In article <251 at skatter.UUCP> kuo at skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) writes:
>I would gladly use this shell command! We found that the new Ultrix FORTRAN
>is at least 3-4 times faster than f77, even though a few bugs have been found
>in fort.

Does that mean it *compiles* 3-4 times faster, or that the code *runs*
3-4 times faster after having been compiled?  And what code?

The 4.2BSD f77 compiler was pretty bad; the 4.3 compiler is much
more correct, and the runtime libraries, now written in Vax assembly,
are much faster, but I would be greatly surprised to find that even
the ported VMS compiler could beat even the old 4.2 f77 by a factor
of four, except on carefully selected benchmarks.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu