is it ok to forbid rm -r x/y/..

mp at allegra.UUCP mp at allegra.UUCP
Sun Jan 18 04:43:28 AEST 1987

After seeing several people remove their entire hierarchies
with something like ``rm -r /usr/lg/backup/.*'' , I'm tempted to
make rm forbid removing anything that has .. as its last
pathname component (currently, it checks only for pathnames
that are either . or ..).  But I'm wondering why it hasn't
been changed to do this already.  What am I overlooking?

BTW, under 4.3bsd the attempt to recursively remove .. in the
aforementioned manner may cause rm to get a bus error.  On line 167,
add an "if (dirp)" before "closedir(dirp)".
	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp