Sys V does not have a recursive copy cmd...

wcs at ho95e.UUCP wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Thu Jan 8 01:38:09 AEST 1987

In article <487 at obelix.UUCP> sven-e at obelix.UUCP (Sven L Eriksson) writes:
>In article <1964 at ptsfa.UUCP> jmc at ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) writes:
>>In article <1269 at cadovax.UUCP> mitchell at cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>>>... System V does not have a cp that does recursive copies...
>>Try "find . -print|cpio -pduvm /foo/bar/...".
>Another way to do this copy is to use tar. (Tape file ARchiver)
>	tar cf - . | (cd todir ; tar xf - )
>If you use this command links between files in the tree will be kept.

With either method, make sure your ulimit is large enough for any files
that you may be copying.  I've been burned by copying a multi-megabyte
database with a 1MB ulimit.  (Yes, I think ulimit is brain-damaged too.)
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs