ulimit considered braindamaged ?

Brandon Allbery brandon at tdi2.UUCP
Mon Jan 12 12:24:47 AEST 1987

Quoted from <196 at devon.UUCP> ["Re: ulimit considered braindamaged ?"], by paul at devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.)...
+---------------
| It's also interesting to note that _any_ process running as set[e]uid
| root does not adhere to the ulimit value (e.g. can write to any size
| file).
+---------------

Not under AT&T System V.2.  I once managed to screw up our Plexus by assuming
that v.v_cdlimit was unsigned and patching it to (1<<31) -- which promptly
failed spectacularly when I tried to go multiuser.  I ended up using the shell
ulimit command (I am glad that I refuse to use the Plexus-supplied csh on the
root login -- no ulimit command!) to set my ulimit to something reasonable,
then re-patching the kernel for (1<<30) and rebooting.

++Brandon
--
``for is he not of the Children of Luthien?  Never shall that line fail, though
the years may lengthen beyond count.''  --J. R. R. Tolkien

Brandon S. Allbery	           UUCP: cbatt!cwruecmp!ncoast!tdi2!brandon
Tridelta Industries, Inc.         CSNET: ncoast!allbery at Case
7350 Corporate Blvd.	       INTERNET: ncoast!allbery%Case.CSNET at relay.CS.NET
Mentor, Ohio 44060		  PHONE: +1 216 255 1080 (home) +1 216 974 9210