4.3 <-> 4.2 udp

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sun Jan 11 21:53:07 AEST 1987

In article <896 at ulowell.UUCP>, page at ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
> After I brought up 4.3bsd and Ultrix 1.2, rwho/ruptime to our 4.2bsd
> based machines broke.  From 4.2 to 4.3 works ok, however, and the 4.2
> machines can see each other.

> What changes are needed to have 4.3 based machines seen by the 4.2
> ones?

In the ifconfig commands to start the 4.3 network interfaces what
broadcast value are you giving?  4.3, by default, uses the right thing:
a host number of all ones (but you can change it).  4.2 uses a host
number of all zeros (wrong, and you can't change it).  So for 4.2 and
4.3 to exchange broadcast packets you have to give a zero broadcast
address on the 4.3's ifconfig.  For example, our LAN uses 200.0.0.x
addresses, and the 4.3 ifconfig reads

ifconfig de0 inet `hostname` up -trailers broadcast 200.0

If this isn't it I dunno.  Our 4.3 VAXen seem to speak rwho to our Suns
and Ultrix machines just fine, so it's nothing fundamental.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu