/etc/htable does not understand sub-nets

Dan Ehrlich ehrlich at psuvax1.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 05:01:46 AEST 1987

The program /etc/htable is supposed to translate a file that is in NIC
HOSTS.TXT format to the /etc/hosts format used by UNIX.  Well, someone
forgot to inform htable about sub-nets.  If the following input is given
to htable:

NET : 128.118.2.0 : CC-ETHER1 :
NET : 128.118.3.0 : CC-WILLARD1 :
NET : 128.118.6.0 : CS-MAIN :
NET : 128.118.8.0 : CS-SUN :
NET : 128.118.9.0 : CS-VLSI :
NET : 128.118.10.0 : CS-3B :
NET : 128.118.11.0 : CS-TERM :
NET : 128.118.12.0 : CS-WORK :

The following output is generated:

cc-willard1     128.118
cs-main         128.118
cs-sun          128.118
cs-vlsi         128.118
cs-3b           128.118
cs-term         128.118
cs-work         128.118

The question then is:  "Has anyone updated htable to take into account
						the use of sub-nets?"
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich at penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich at psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich at psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.