why learn UNIX

cetron at utah-cs.UUCP cetron at utah-cs.UUCP
Thu Jan 29 02:42:47 AEST 1987

In article <1238 at frog.UUCP> john at frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
->> In a recent article rbl at nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) wrote:
->> >	UNIX, with it's pipe feature and the excellent Software Tools
->> >	books to back it up, serves well in teaching students how to
->>
->> WHAT IN THE HOLY GOOD GOD EARTH DO PIPES HAVE TO DO WITH RAPID PROTOTYPING??
->>
->> This article sounds like a snow job...   growl.
->>
->> garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak at cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)
->
->A quick spelling checker:
->
->tr '\t ' '\n' | sort | uniq | comm -23 - /usr/lib/dict/wordlist
->
->Took me 3 minutes to write, including fishing around for the manual.
->

->Note that I used 3 pipes and 4 "Software Tools" that perform limited,
->precisely describable jobs.
->

hmm, this fascinated me... so I decided to try it, and it worked, and I did
it as written on my VMS machine....  Now, explain to me why if I can do this
on my UNIX machine  AND I can do it on my VMS  machine, why UNIX is better
than VMS.

-ed cetron

in fact, I then went and tried it on my RSX-11M+ machine, hmmm, worked there
two.....this is getting strange :-)