why learn UNIX

Alan Kiecker alan at herman.UUCP
Sat Jan 10 09:03:16 AEST 1987

Please, first accept my most humble apologies if this is not the correct
newsgroup to post this request. We don't subscribe to all the newsgroups
and, of the ones we do get, this one appeared to be the most appropriate.

One of our directors is on an advisory board to one of our state colleges.
Currently the college is using a VAX VMS system, but is considering moving
over to UNIX. He has been asked why it would be beneficial for the students
to learn UNIX; i.e. why should the college bother to convert. If anyone has
any comments, I would appreciate it, and will forward them on to our
director.

(Yeah, I know that UNIX is the greatest thing since [ ... insert your own
favorite here ...], but what are the REAL reasons that a college would
want its students to learn UNIX).

In advance, I thank any and all who may be so inclined to respond.