UUCP Port Turnaround

jon at nsc.UUCP jon at nsc.UUCP
Thu Jan 29 00:15:25 AEST 1987

Does anyone know a simple method to "turn a port around" so as to
make an outgoing call on a port which is usually used for incoming
connections?  I can imagine a messy shell script (run by root) to kill
the getty, make the call, and restore the getty.  Has anyone written
such a script?  Is there a better way?  How do you handle problems, if
any, with the modem?  (We are currently using Hayes Smartmodems.)

Please reply by mail.  If anything interesting appears, I will
summarize, probably to Net.sources.

Thanks: