H/P Unix disk problem

ucscb.fiatlux at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU ucscb.fiatlux at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jan 30 23:27:33 AEST 1987

I have a friend who has an H/P 9000 series computer. He has
the 300 micro-processor with 1 meg of memory. His disk setup
consists of a 10 meg 9153a hard disc with a 9122s micro-floppy
disk drive included as one unit.

When he loads HP-UX onto the hard drive, it's done via the
micro-floppy drive. Well, since he has only a 10 meg hard
drive it limits what he utilities he can have (vi, nroff,
c compiler, the manual entries, etc).

Now, if he could use the floppy drive to mount a file system,
then he would be able to use those utilities. Right? So how do
we get access to the drive? Well, supposedly the drive is
acessable, other wise we couldn't install the system, right?

According to the manual, we're supposed to do the following:

# mknod /dev/md9122 b 0 0x070010
# mknod /dev/rmd9122 c 4 0x070010

Which creates the special device to mount on.

Then we do:

# mount /dev/md9122 /disc

The disk drive light goes on and the disk spins for second.
Then we get this error message:

Bad super block magic number on /dev/md9122

or something similar. The kernel is supposed to be setup to
accept a 9122s with a 9153a. When I looked in /dev after we
installed the system, the only other device other than /dev/root
(which is the hard disk) that could be used as disk device
was a device called /dev/rhd which was a character mode device.

So here's the question. How do we get the 9122s built in micro
floppy drive to work? It should be a simple matter of doing a
mknod for the devices and a simple mount request. The manuals
provided are of dubious help and seem to only confuse us. If
you have had any experience with an H/P Unix setup similar to
this one please send a reply suggesting what to do.

This is my first post, please excuse the incoherency of it.
(we've been up all night try to get the thing to work).

fiatlux at ucscc.BITNET
fiatlux at ucscc.ucscb.uucp
fiatlux at ucscb.ucsc.edu

Bitnet or news-group posts would be best for replies as I'm not
sure what the exact path to me should be.

Thank you,

			-david

Time out for a fortune:

Barometer: An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather
we are having.