What is the Diff between Xmodem/Ymodem

Bruce Holloway holloway at drivax.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 03:49:55 AEST 1987

In article <305 at hoqax.UUCP> twb at hoqax.UUCP (BEATTIE) writes:
>> Now, one question for all of you guys who know your communication
>> packages.  What is the difference between Xmodem/Ymodem/Umodem/Kermit.
>
>Add rb/sb and zmodem to the list.
>What is the difference between all these?

XMODEM	128 byte packets, 8 or 16 bit checksum
YMODEM	1024 byte packets, 8 or 16 bit checksum
ZMODEM	128 byte packets sent four at a time, 8 or 16 bit checksum
WMODEM	Same as ZMODEM (I think), but for timesharing systems
UMODEM	?
KERMIT	Not related to the above protocols. Kermit can send files to sites
	when there are severe restrictions that XMODEM et.al. can't handle.
	Such as 7 bit lines, can only take a line at a time, control
	characters usually not allowed, etc. Kermit is also a sender driven
	protocol, unlike the receiver driven XMODEM. Also, Kermit can get
	directories, type files, etc. on the remote machine.
--
....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
"What do you mean, 'almost dead'?" "Well, when you stop breathing, and moving