How to make sendmail re-read the configuration file

Bruce Israel israel at brillig
Sun Jan 11 04:08:34 AEST 1987

In article <136 at quacky.mips.UUCP> dce at quacky.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:

>In our environment, it is possible for the sendmail configuration file
>to change much more frequently than a machine is rebooted.
>
>I would like to modify sendmail to have it re-read the configuration
>file on some given signal (HUP?), but I am worried that sendmail
>can't handle this without modifications elsewhere. Is there anyone
>with a lot of sendmail experience that can help me out?

I've been wanting such a signal myself, but haven't looked into adding
one.  We also have tables that the sendmail.cf file uses that are updated
on a nightly basis.  As a result, what we do is have a line in crontab
that looks like:

30  2 * * *	root	cd /usr/lib/hostnames/bin; /usr/local/bin/user bin /bin/make; kill `ps aux | egrep '/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m' | awk '{print $2}'`; /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m &

It's ugly, but it works.  Every night at 2:30am, cron updates all
necessary tables then kills off and restarts the daemon.

Bruce Israel

University of Maryland, Computer Science Dept.
{rlgvax,seismo}!umcp-cs!israel (Usenet)    israel at Maryland (Arpanet)