telnet i/o redirection?

The Computer Grue randy at ncifcrf.gov
Mon Apr 18 02:00:07 AEST 1988

    I'm pretty sure that the problem here is that when telnet does the
open it puts the terminal into raw mode and simply transfers
characters to the remote system.  This means that you need to send
<CR> to end lines instead of <LF>, which is the normal unix end of
line character.  This explains everything you described except the
console hanging on the tty indirect, but then I always knew SGI had
flaky OS software!  I had this same problem attempting to get telnet
working on input from a regular disk file.

    Try translating <LF> to <CR> on the cat (does tr buffer?  If so,
you'll have to write a C program to do it); that should fix your
problem.  Hope this helps . . .

						-- Randy

--
  Randy Smith    @	NCI Supercomputer Facility