Socket, socket, who's got the socket?

Angelique Wahlstedt pepper at dasys1.UUCP
Fri Apr 1 19:05:21 AEST 1988

A few questions about sockets on 4.3 BSD...

Are sockets queue-bound in the same way FIFOs are? That is, if the
first block of data has been written to a socket but hasn't been
read yet by the time the second block of data comes, will the 2nd block
be put in a queue behind the first one? Or will the 1st block be over-
written?

If the answer for above is no, how do I go around to fix this, other than
writing code explicitly to support queues?

Another question: if I fix a socket not to block (via a fcntl and FNDELAY),
will the socket lose the property to queue blocks of data (assuming the
socket, in general, is queue-bound)?

Thanks in advance for any answers. Sorry if I sound a bit vague...
with *very* little documentation on sockets, I'm practically working
in the dark with them.

--
Angeli "Ms. Pepper" Wahlstedt

UUCP: wahlsted at handel.colostate.edu  - or -  ...!hao!handel!wahlsted