user name in /etc/passwd GCOS field

Jean-Francois Lamy lamy at ai.toronto.edu
Wed Apr 13 12:20:29 AEST 1988

In article <8855 at eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner at eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>The standard format on System V seems to be, thanks to the vanilla passwd
>file packaged with it, junk-Full Name(junk). Revolting, isn't it?

Especially fun when some programs take the first half of my given name to be
the "junk" (I have an hyphen in my name, like millions of people of French,
German, Swedish descent -- not to forget pre-pinyin Chinese spellings).

The fun part is that at least it shortens my name to Francois Lamy, which is
the correct familiar form.  Better than all the humans who insist on calling
me John...

Jean-Francois Lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science           lamy at ai.toronto.edu
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4              uunet!ai.toronto.edu!lamy