Streams on UNIX System V supporting UDP/IP :Info needed.

964[jak]-Robert Halloran rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
Thu Apr 7 06:33:02 AEST 1988

In article <1919 at rtech.UUCP> daveb at rtech.UUCP (Crack?  No thanks, I've got a new CD player) writes:
>But, curiously, the only interface TWG supports for their SV.3 tcp/ip is
>a socket emulation library.  Perhaps I haven't looked far enough, or the
>manuals are poorly indexed, but I did not see a STREAMS/TLI interface
>documented.
>
>Is Cray using a TLI interface for tcp/ip?  How about any of the UNIX/386
>ports?  Is there a standard TLI interface for tcp/ip, or is everyone
>rolling their own in incompatible ways?

Since V.3 has a standard TLI package, TWG uses it rather than the home-rolled
version they had in the pre-Streams release for the 3B2.  The '386 port on
the AT&T box, at least, has a 3N section in the programmers' reference for
the TLI calls, and I seem to recall seeing TLI mentioned in the networking
extensions for Microport's 386 port as well, though I have no idea about
the conformance of calls.  I would expect (hope?) that the various TLI
implementations are using the SVr3 syntax (I don't know if this stuff has
been incorporated as yet into the SVID).

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		Internet: rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
Disclaimer: People have opinions.  Companies have policies.
	Don't confuse MY opinions with THEIR policies.
Quote: "There were incidents & accidents, there were hints & allegations"
		-- Paul Simon